Joint pain occurs when hinge type joints are distressed from over-use, wear and tear, received an injury or because of osteoarthritis in the joints (degeneration). Normally the hinge joint operation should result in a smooth, effortless and painless movement. Degeneration, injury, and/or inflammation around the effected joint can create pain. Injury to the joints include falls, over extension, weighted pushing, sports trauma or direct impact.
Osteoarthritis is the slow breakdowns that have occurred over time or simply because of the aging process. conditions caused by cartilage and/or tissue breakdown can slowly develop as we age but may eventually become a chronic, every day pain or discomfort and may require a doctor’s care to help with managing the condition causing the symptoms.
Osteoarthritis may also be known as Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendon Tear, Golfer's Elbow, Tennis Elbow, Carpal Tunnels Syndrome, Arthritis, Degenerative Arthritis, Osteoarthrosis.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
Symptoms of osteoarthritis are generally located in the area of the body where 2 bones meet inside a joint (knee, elbow, wrist etc..)
- Pain gets worse when doing activities (walking, running).
- Hurts more when touched or pressed.
- Numbness, Tingling or Stiffness at or near the site.
- Grating Sensation (crackling or popping sounds)
- Limited range of motion
Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown and eventual loss of cartiliage in the joints. The onset of Osteoarthritis symptoms can be caused by one of the following:
- History of Repeated Injury
- One or more previous joint surgeries
- The risk of osteoarthritis increases with age.
- Carrying extra body weight contributes to osteoarthritis.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis, generally pain, may be treated by most nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Osteoarthritis should be treated first by Conservative treatments and when that doesn't help you may want to consider surgical and other procedures such as these:
- Non steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs help to relieve inflammation
- Acetaminophen, Tylenol or other over the counter pain reliver to relieve pain